Wednesday, April 15, 2015

New Book... "If Only"

Hello Fellow Readers! It's been awhile since I've posted a blog, but I'm back at it with some supa supa awesome blogging skills! Stick around and enjoy!


As you see in the title, I've started reading a new book, and it's called "If Only" by Carole Geithner. This book is about a girl named Corinna, she's starting off school as an official eighth grader. But, Corinna isn't exactly excited and joyous about going back to school because of one thing and one thing only, her mother's death over the summer. Corinna and her dad share the same feelings about her mother's death, so her feelings at home are no different than from when she's in school.  Except in school, she feels very alone and isolated no matter how many friends she talks to.  In one part of the book, Corinna even had to write a five paragraph essay talking about the highlights of her summer. That didn't turn out too well. On page 27 of the book, Corinna Says, "I think almost everyone knows now that my mom died, but it's like a forbidden subject. On rare occasions, someone says, "I'm so sorry about your mom," or "I don't know what to say except I'm sorry ." Those are both good things to say, but no one ever says anything like, "It must be hard when we're talking about our mothers." This shows that inside, Corinna wishes that people would be more open and there to be able to talk about her mother's death on a serious level, instead of someone just saying "I'm sorry about your mom's death" and all that jazz. If ya diggin what's been said, check out the book yourself! "If Only", buy it at KMART, HALF PRICE BOOKS, AND MANY OTHER STORES. LOLOLOLOL!!! But seriously, read this book yo! 

The genre of the book would be like a sad, young adult fiction type of book. This book so far has seemed like a very low and depressing book. Yeah, there are some uplifting and cheerful parts in the book, but it's mostly just depressing and low.  Once you start reading the book (first chapter) you notice that Corinna doesn't feel too well about starting off the eighth grade. In the third paragraph of the first chapter, Corinna says, " That's when I freeze. How can I continue to put one foot in the front of the other when I can barely breathe? How can I smile and talk to everyone like I'm the old me, like nothing has changed?" Just by reading these couple of sentences, you can kind of sense the kind of mood that's going to be going on throughout the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment