Sunday, April 19, 2015

"If Only"....

What dee do awesome readers?! Came back for more I see! Well read onnnnnnn!

If you read my last blog on this book, you'll know that I had left off on talking about how she wishes people would speak with her on a more serious level about her mothers death. So to continue on, you guys should already know that even though she wishes people would have a serious conversation about her mother, she still feels very very fragile and sensitive about the subject. In school she realizes that throughout her day, it's basically about the subject of mothers in general. Corinna says on page 28, "Our gym teacher warned us yesterday that we should call our mothers if we didn't behave. At the lunch table next to ours, some girls were complaining about their moms making lunches they don't like. In English, we're reading a book about mothers called They Cage the Animals at Night. It's a totally sad story in which the mother is sick and the kids go to an orphanage. Oh, and on that school form Norma the Storma wants, it asks for emergency contact information, for my father and my mother." After that she had said, "Each time the subject of mothers comes up, a red flag goes up, telling my ears to shut down. Then my brain gets a little fuzzy and I can't concentrate." This shows that Corinna isn't really fond of talking about the mother subject. She'll only take it when she needs to, other wise, she'll just keep doing the same thing for each time she feels it isn't necessary for her to listen.  For more on this book, check out my next blog. Or even better, READ THE BOOK! It's NEVER too late! 
The main conflict that I noticed in the book is person vs. self. Corinna has many thoughts and emotions that she feels that she has to keep to herself. Going a little bit back from the book, on page 16, Corinna says, "It feels like I'm on a separate planet from everyone else. The kids at school are on Planet Normal, the planet I used to belong to. Their lives are going on as if nothing had happened. And then there's me. I'm on Planet Doom an Gloom. I don't know if I'll ever get back to Planet Normal. I was right to have been worried about school. I am obviously the unofficial and unmistakable class freakazoid. You'd think no one had ever encountered death in all of history." Long quote, yeah I know, but this just shows how isolated and alone Corinna feels in school, even sometimes at home. But Corinna says she "somehow makes it through the day". It must take A LOT of strength for her to even wake up in the morning. I mean, just knowing that you no longer have a mother to look forward to seeing in the morning or throughout the weekends. I just hope that at some point during the book, Corinna is able to find peace and finally feel happy again.  


1 comment:

  1. Excellent text evidence, explanations, and general commentary about the book. Well done!

    ReplyDelete